Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

End of an Era

Almost three years has passed since the Machinima Open Studio Project appeared on the scene. That pretty much IS an "era" in virtual reality where time moves at a much speedier pace. Those many months have been filled with creativity and enjoyment. I am pleased to have helped and encouraged hundreds of machinimatographers and many thousands of photographers -- giving them an ever changing landscape with which to create their stories.

But -- and you knew there was one coming I bet -- all things have an ending. MOSP will be coming down mid July. That means those of you in the midst of projects have most of a month to get your ducks in a row and film in the can. I will not be dismantling for three weeks and the full sim city and ground level will be the last areas to disappear.  So get out your cameras and film any places that were on your list that you just never got to.

There are no real life problems. I am both happy and busy -- and I am not going anywhere. It is simply time to shift gears, move along and leave room for the next great idea.  There are plenty of people who have dreams. Happily I have had the chance to make mine a reality.

This blog will remain and I will likely put forth some philosophy or random thoughts from time to time. I may even make an instructional video for the new kids on the block; so many simple things can make filming a pleasure rather than a chore.   The inworld group will still be around too. One never knows what may transpire in the future. A new version of MOSP might appear -- say in SL 2.0.  There are no PLANS for that, but we just don't know what will be happening in a year or two. 

I thank you all for your participation in the MOSP project. I have enjoyed seeing the films blending your ideas with mine. And I have learned from you also.

Take care.

4 comments:

  1. Boo hoo. My home away from home is going away. Thank you, Chic, for all you have done for the virtual community over the past 3 years at MOSP. I look forward to your next project/adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww this is such sad news. Thanks for all you have done, we have made lots and lots of machinima there and taken our all new teacher machinima makers there to make machinima in those amazing scenes. We will really miss your wonderful sim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all your inspiring work Chic. It is sad news and my students and I wish it were not true or you changed your mind. The Japanese scene near the lighthouse, the bridge in the city, Cherry Blossom Romance are only a few of your sims we will be missing. We really wish you all the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a sad puppy :(
    Now that I finally feel competent enough in Second Life to start taking advantage of such a wonderful resource to make machinima, it goes away! It will be missed, I'm sure. I wish you the best for your new projects Chic.

    ReplyDelete