Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Planning you Film

I wrote this on a Google Group the other day but thought it important so reposting here:
Just a general note to machinamatographers out there and of course just my personal opinion.

HOWEVER you film and edit is your choice. Experimentation is important as we each have our own methods -- or will find them eventually.

On a typical movie, scenes are not shot in sequence -- they are shot for convenience, actors available and locations available.  So you might be shooting the last scene in the movie in week two. Actors need to prepare for this, know the storyline and be willing to be the "me in the future" if needed.

The only film (movie) that I know of that was filmed sequentially was "ET" and that was to give the very young child actors a sense of continuity. Likely, that was an excellent plan.

Since I know Shin already has film in the can (who knows how much? Not I ) this isn't going to be a sequential shoot.

I guess my general advice to all is that if you have an idea for a scene that seems good, then shoot it. Not everything shot makes it into the film. Sometimes, it makes it into another film (ya never know). And sometimes some spectacular footage just doesn't FIT.

THAT is disappointing. But as a director - editor you need to do what is right for the film.

And this little bit of prose was SO important I am going to paste it into a post for my machinima blog for the future LOL. THAT works.

Do your own thing. Enjoy the process. Smile.

Those are my personal rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment